Sunday, August 12, 2007

They don't even TRY anymore....


My e-mail software has a junk mail filter. I always check my junk mail file, just to be sure that valid e-mail hasn't been diverted there (sometimes it is). I've noticed that junk mail tends to have waves of themes. For a very long time, most of it seemed to be wanting to sell me drugs for erectile dysfunction, and fake Rolex watches. Lately the subject themes have been "we've approved your loan request" or "thanks for contacting us, we're ready to loan you money," and what appears to be bl*w j*b p0rn. (using the characters so those searching for actual BJP won't be directed here and be disappointed). Usually the senders make a token effort to make their names look like actual people, "Sherry Hound" or "Ivana Watch". Of course I never open these and delete them. I guess the junk mail senders have decided I'm not even worth the effort to try to fool, as today two of the sender names were "deception" (for a "loan approval") and "flimsy replica" (for fake watches).

3 Comments:

Blogger Maya's Granny said...

I keep getting theme stuff too. Once it was Pepsi or Coke and once it was KFC or Burger King?

At the moment it is viruses sent in greeting cards. 35 to 60 a day.

11:46 PM  
Blogger Imogen Lamport, AICI CIP said...

I get about 300 a day I think - and also get offered university degrees, as well as remedies for my non-existent member.

I also get plenty from ???? and also myself (don't know how they do that) offering me anything from jobs, to nigerian money scams to the news - I don't understnad why they bother!

1:26 PM  
Blogger Susan B said...

Imogen - wow, that's a lot of Spam!!

There was a story I heard on the radio a few months ago about a group of guys who decided to scam one of the Nigerian scammers. They had the poor guy travelling all over eastern Africa supposedly to meet up with people who would give him money to do missionary work, but of course the people and money never showed up. What was so amazing was that these guys fall for the very same types of scams they perpetrate!

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home