Sunday, March 11, 2007

Plodding Along, Odds and Ends

So I'm one week into my "get ready to get radioactive!" routine, and still doing pretty well. I've been off the thyroid meds since Monday and still not dragging too badly. I definitely feel a little tired, but so far have still been able to function. Energy levels are up and down, and the lightheadedness I'm periodically experiencing doesn't seem to be getting worse. If things continue this way over the next few days, I should be able to continue working. We'll see. I've been so thankful for the meals my BIL prepared within the really narrow dietary restrictions I'm having to follow until my procedure. He charged us half his usual fee, and the food is fantastic! If it weren't for him, I'd probably be living on carrot sticks, whole wheat matzhos and unsalted peanut butter. It's made the whole thing SO much more bearable, and not allowing the "diet deprivation" mindset to kick in. Here's how it works: he's prepared six different meals each week (2 servings each) which get vacuum sealed and can be stored in the fridge for several days. They just have to be put in boiling water for a few minutes to reheat. I have one serving for dinner and the other for lunch the next day. Genius!

Interesting that the Federal Prosecutor firing scandal has actually been making some real news. This is the kind of thing that would've been buried without a Democtratic Congress and Senate, IMHO. Some excellent analysis by Digby indicates the White House has it's pawprints all over this, quelle surprise - not. It's amazing to me the thuggery this administration has gotten away with while the news media is focuses on Anna Nicole's maggoty corpse and Britney's shaved head.

Maya's Granny has an interesting post about polar bear stories. I get such a kick out of the one about the runway landing lights. Really though, polar bears are the "canaries in the coal mine" when it comes to global warming. I just don't know how anyone with a brain or a modicum of scientific knowledge can deny this is happening, or that it's in everyone's best interest to try to take steps to mitigate it. Profits and short-sightedness are all that motivate some people, I guess. Never mind that their great-grandchildren are going to be the ones paying the price (just like the deficit price tag for Pee Wee's Big Iraq Adventure).

Sam's been going through another phase of getting frustrated easily and hitting, pinching and sometimes trying to bite whoever is in range. It's like he's having trouble processing any extreme emotions; even being very happily excited can set him off and he'll start smacking whoever is nearest. We're going to have to set up another round with a behaviorist. He'll hit, get sent to his room for a time out, then after a few minutes say he's sorry but do it again five minutes later. Especially now that he's getting bigger, this is worrisome. It's just so tough because he doesn't have the language or vocabulary to express what he's feeling. We know there's a lot more going on in his brain than he's able to convey and I really feel bad for him.

Well, I'm off to heat up some lunch (lentil stew and braised chard today, yum!).

4 Comments:

Blogger Maya's Granny said...

So sorry that Sam is having trouble expressing himself. That has to be so frustrating for him.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Susan B said...

Yes, and I'm sure that's what a lot of this lashing out is about. Had a conversation with the speech therapist on Tuesday, and she's going to start working on some "feelings vocabulary" with him, in hopes that he can at least tell us a bit how he's feeling.

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know if you can be around pets after the radiodine treatment? Im getting the capsule tomorrow, scan on Wednesday.
Thanks,
Denise

8:28 AM  
Blogger Susan B said...

What I was told was that it's ok to touch, pet, etc. the animals but that I shouldn't sleep with them for a few days. I'm getting the capsule Tuesday and they said to sleep alone until Sunday. I can pretty much resume all my normal routines on Sunday. Good luck to you!

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home