Thursday, June 07, 2007

Thoughts on "P.C"

Whenever I hear or read someone who (often proudly) preferaces the point they're about to make with, "I'm not P.C." or "I know this isn't very P.C., but", my Babelfish translates as "I'm very attached to my prejudices and resent having to show respect to anyone who is/thinks different than me."

What most of the folks (usually conservatives) who throw this term around don't understand is that it was resurrected into modern parlance in the early 80's by liberals/lefties who were using it in a humorous/ironic way. (Among the Princeton Poli Sci grad students I was hanging out with at the time, it was most frequently used when chiding someone for their orthodoxy to any given set of political beliefs, left or right.) But I've found that most conservatives tend to be a bit literal-minded, and seemed to have had an irony-ectomy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Maya's Granny said...

I can't think of a single conservative with a sense of irony. Maybe because conservatives are trying to hold onto or return to the past and irony looks to create a new future.

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home